Roasted sesame brinjals
These sticky-sweet brinjals can become a vegetarian main meal when tossed with noodles or baby marrow spaghetti. Just double up on the sauce.
- Serves 6
- Less than 45 minutes
- Paired with Pinotage
- 2 punnets (200g each) baby brinjals, halved
- ⅓ cup (80ml) Indonesian sweet soy sauce
- ½ cup (125ml) vegetable stock
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) sesame oil
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) honey
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) rice wine vinegar
- 3 Tbsp (45ml) sesame seeds, toasted
- Fresh coriander, chopped
- Spring onion, chopped
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Heat a griddle pan over high heat and char brinjals well, cut-side down – they should be almost blackened. (Alternatively, pan-fry with very little oil over high heat.)
- Remove and place in a roasting tray.
- Combine remaining ingredients and pour over brinjals, tossing to coat.
- Roast for 25-30 minutes, or until sticky and sauce is reduced to a syrupy thickness.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve warm with coriander and spring onion.