Chilli poppers ‘lite’
A mild twist on a hot classic.
- Makes 16
- Less than 45 minutes
- Paired with Shiraz
- 8 slices white bread, crusts removed
- 4 jalapeño chillies, deseeded and chopped
- 1 tub (230g) cream cheese
- ½ cup (60g) grated mozzarella
- Salt and milled pepper
- 1 cup (150g) cake flour
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 1 cup (250ml) dried breadcrumbs
- Oil, for deep-frying
- Sweet chilli sauce
- Lemon wedges
- Fresh coriander
- Roll bread slices out with a rolling pin.
- Mix chillies, cream cheese and mozzarella together and season.
- Place a spoonful of filling onto the bottom edge of each bread slice and spread to cover a third of the slice.
- Roll bread inward from the filling side and pinch the edges.
- Coat in flour, dip in egg and roll in breadcrumbs.
- Heat oil in a pan and deep-fry for 5-10 minutes, or until golden.
- Drain on kitchen paper.
- Serve with sweet chilli sauce, lemon wedges and fresh coriander.