GRILLED CHICKPEA BURGERS
A juicy homemade chickpea and veggie patty sandwiched in a toasted bun smeared with chilli vegan mayo and filled with cucumber ribbons and a crunchy red cabbage, carrot and spring onion slaw.
- Serves 6
- 30 mins
- For the Patty:
800g (2 cans) chickpeas, drained, rinsed and mashed.
- ½ a red onion, finely diced.
- 1 tsp crushed ginger.
- 1 medium-sized baby marrow, grated.
- A handful of fresh coriander, finely chopped.
- 60ml (4 Tbsp) vegan mayonnaise.
- 15ml (1 Tbsp) hot sauce.
- 15ml (1 Tbsp) Knorr Aromat Naturally Tasty.
- 7.5ml (1 tsp) Robertsons Paprika.
- 7.7ml (1½ tsp) garlic powder.
- 15ml (1 Tbsp) Robertsons Black Pepper.
- 125g (½ cup) gluten free oats.
- For the chilli mayo:
60ml (4 Tbsp) vegan mayonnaise
- 30ml (2 Tbsp) hot sauce
- For the slaw:
- half a ½ red cabbage, shredded
- 1 carrot, grated
- 4 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 30ml (2 Tbsp) Knorr light French dressing
- For cooking the patties:
30ml (2 Tbsp) olive oil
- To garnish:
- For Serving:
6 Burger buns, toasted
- 1 cucumber, sliced into ribbons
- In a large bowl, combine all the patty ingredients, using your hands to combine everything well. Form into 6 patties then place on a plate, cover and allow to rest in the fridge while you prepare the other ingredients.
- While the patties rest, whisk the chilli mayo ingredients together in a small bowl and set aside.
- Combine slaw ingredients and set aside
- In a large grill pan (or non-stick pan) heat some olive oil over a high heat, and fry patties for 4 minutes on each side
- Assemble burgers by spreading chilli mayo on both sides of the bun, and place the grilled patty on the bottom half of the bun. Lay two cucumber ribbons on top of the patty then top with slaw.