Whole roast chicken with grapes
Grapes add an unexpected sweetness to this classic roast
- Serves 6
- More than 1 hour
- 1 (1.3kg) PnP butter brine chicken
- Salt and milled pepper
- ¼ cup (60ml) butter
- 10 thyme sprigs
- 5 rosemary sprigs, lightly chopped (oregano works well too)
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 cup (250ml) dry rosé wine or chicken stock
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) olive oil
- 3 red onions, quartered
- 1 tub (500g) grapes
- Roast potatoes, for serving
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Place chicken in a casserole dish, season generously and rub butter all over.
- Add thyme, rosemary (reserve a little), garlic, wine or stock, lemon juice and olive oil and roast for 30-35 minutes.
- Add red onion and grapes and roast for 25-30 more minutes, or until chicken is golden and cooked.
- Garnish with reserved rosemary and serve with roast potatoes.