Watermelon and basil sorbet
No ice-cream machine needed!
- Serves 6
- More than 2 hours
- 2 cups (500ml) sugar
- 1 cup (250ml) water
- 1½ cups (38g) basil leaves
- 1.5kg watermelon, rind and seeds removed
- Juice (30ml) of ½ lemon
- 2 egg whites
- Heat sugar and water, stirring until sugar has dissolved.
- Remove from heat and add basil leaves.
- Infuse for 30 minutes.
- Cool and strain.
- Blitz watermelon in a food processor.
- Combine syrup, watermelon and lemon juice.
- Place in a freezer-safe bowl and freeze overnight.
- Place mixture in a food processor and blitz until smooth (you might need to do this in batches).
- Whisk egg whites until foamy and fold into frozen mixture, making sure it is well combined.
- Freeze for 4-6 hours before serving.