Traditional pickled fish
The perfect combination of sweet, sour, salty and spicy!
- Serves 8
- More than 45 mins
- 1 batch deep-fried fish or pan-fried fish
- 5 cups (1.25L) water
- 4 cups (1L) white spirit vinegar
- 3-4 bay leaves
- 3 Tbsp (45ml) curry powder
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) fish masala spice mix
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) ground turmeric
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) black peppercorns
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) coriander seeds
- 2 cups (500ml) brown sugar
- 1 jar (290g) apricot jam
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) cornflour
- 6-8 onions, sliced into rings
- For serving:
- Garlic naan
- Hot cross buns
- Arrange cooked fish in a deep baking tray or large bowl with a lid.
- Combine water, vinegar, bay leaves and all spices in a large pot and boil the mixture for about 8 minutes.
- Add sugar and jam and simmer on high for 10-12 minutes.
- Combine cornflour and ¼ cup (60ml) pickling sauce in a separate bowl until smooth.
- Whisk mixture into pot and simmer for 5 minutes, or until sauce has thickened slightly. Taste sauce and adjust seasoning as desired.
- Add onion rings and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Pour over fish and cool completely. Cover and refrigerate (do not cover with a lid).
- Pickle for at least 48 hours before serving, or store for up to 3 weeks.
- Serve with garlic naan, hot cross buns, rotis or a side salad.