Tomato soup and anchovy-butter soldiers
An easy, tangy soup.
- Serves 4
- Less than 30 minutes
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic
- 8 sprigs thyme
- 4 sprigs origanum
- 1 packet (50g) tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) brown sugar
- 2 tsp (10ml) soy sauce
- 6 salad tomatoes, grated
- 2 cans (400g each) Italian-style chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup (250ml) beef or vegetable stock
- Salt and milled pepper
- ½ cup (125g) butter, softened
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) fresh chives, chopped
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 3 anchovy fillets, minced
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) capers, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) wholegrain mustard
- 8 slices sourdough or rye bread, cut into soldiers and toasted
- Heat olive oil in a pot and sauté onions until soft and golden.
- Add garlic and herbs and fry for a minute, or until fragrant.
- Add tomato paste, sugar and soy sauce and cook until sticky, 1-2 minutes.
- Stir through grated tomatoes and cook for another minute.
- Tip in canned tomatoes and stock. Season.
- Simmer for 10-12 minutes.
- Blitz soup to desired consistency and adjust seasoning.
- For the toasties, combine butter, herbs, garlic, anchovies, capers and mustard.
- Spread toasted soldiers with flavoured butter and serve with hot soup.