Tomato mince pie with veg crust
Cook mince in bulk and reserve for future speedy dinners.
- Serves 4
- More than 1 hour
- Tomato mince:
- 2 onions, finely diced
- 3 sticks celery, diced
- 3 large carrots, diced
- 3 Tbsp (45ml) oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tsp (10ml) dried oregano
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) tomato paste
- 1kg beef mince
- 200g chicken livers, cleaned and chopped
- ¾ cup (180ml) red wine
- 2 cans (410g each) peeled chopped tomatoes
- Salt and milled pepper
- Veg crust:
- ½ potato, thinly sliced
- 1 butternut, thinly sliced
- 1 sweet potato, sliced
- Fry onions, celery and carrots in 2 Tbsp (30ml) oil.
- Stir in garlic, oregano and tomato paste.
- Add mince and chicken livers and fry until golden.
- Add wine and cook until evaporated.
- Add tomatoes and bring sauce to the boil. Simmer until thickened.
- Season and cook for 5 minutes more.
- Reserve half the mince, cool and freeze (or save for lunch).
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Spoon remaining mince into a 25cm square ovenproof dish.
- Top with sliced veg, brush with oil and bake for 50 minutes, or until golden. Serve.