Spicy chicken-liver pâté
The earthy flavours of Cabernet Sauvignon compliment inexpensive chicken livers perfectly.
- Serves 10
- More than 1 hour
- Cabernet Sauvignon
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) butter
- 3 shallots or ¼ red onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and chopped
- 4 tubs (250g each) chicken livers, cleaned
- 3 Tbsp (45ml) dry sherry or brandy
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) chopped fresh coriander
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) sriracha sauce
- 1 tsp (5ml) medium curry powder
- Salt and milled pepper
- 3-4 dried bay leaves
- ¼ cup (60ml) melted butter
- 1 PnP rustic baguette, sliced
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) mayonnaise
- 3 Tbsp (45ml) sesame seeds
- Pomegranate rubies, to garnish (optional)
- Heat butter and fry shallots or onion, garlic and chilli for 3-5 minutes or until translucent.
- Add chicken livers and fry for 5 minutes more.
- Add sherry or brandy, coriander, sriracha and curry powder and simmer for 2-3 minutes. Season.
- Remove from heat, transfer to a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Scoop pâté into ramekins or serving bowls packing them tightly.
- Top with bay leaves and pour over melted butter in a thin layer.
- Cool, then chill for 1 hour or overnight.
- Brush baguette with mayonnaise, sprinkle with sesame seeds and toast under the grill for 3-5 minutes or until golden.
- Serve pâté with sesame toast and garnish with pomegranate rubies.