Sparkling wine sangria
New Year’s Eve spells an abundance of fancy fizz!
- Makes 2L
- Less than 15 minutes
- ½ cup (125ml) water
- ¼ cup (60ml) sugar
- 10 mint leaves, plus extra for serving
- 2 star anise
- 1 punnet (125g) blueberries
- 2 sliced peaches
- 1 sliced orange or grapefruit
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) pomegranate rubies
- 2 bottles (750ml each) white sparkling wine
- 1 cup (250ml) apple juice
- Juice (60ml) and grated peel of 1 lemon
- Crushed ice, for serving
- Heat water, sugar, mint leaves and star anise in a pot until sugar dissolves.
- Cool syrup and strain.
- Place blueberries, peaches, orange or grapefruit slices, pomegranate rubies and mint in a large jug.
- Combine wine, apple juice, and juice and grated peel of 1 lemon with syrup.
- Pour over fruit.
- Place crushed ice in serving glasses and pour sangria over.
- Garnish with extra mint before serving.