Salt and pepper rump steak with pico de gallo
Who said big cuts were just for roasts?
- Serves 8
- Less than 1 hour
- Pico de gallo:
- 6 medium ripe salad tomatoes, deseeded and finely diced
- ½ red onion, finely chopped
- ¼ cup (60ml) fresh lime juice or 2 Tbsp (30ml) lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) chopped coriander
- 1-2 red chillies, deseeded and finely chopped
- 2kg rump steak
- 3 Tbsp (45ml) salt
- 3 Tbsp (45ml) milled pepper
- Toss all the pico de gallo ingredients together. Set aside to develop flavour.
- Rub rump steak with salt and milled pepper and set aside for 10 minutes.
- Braai over hot coals until medium-rare (12-15 minutes for every 2.5cm thickness, as a rough guide).
- Remove from heat and rest meat for 15 minutes.
- Slice and serve topped with pico de gallo.