Mushroom and cashew tart with rocket
Bake in individual tart tins to make a moreish starter.
- Serves 6
- Less than 1 hour
- 1 packet (400g) shortcrust pastry
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 2 onions, peeled and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 6 sprigs thyme
- 6 sprigs rosemary
- 3 punnets (150g each) shimeji mushrooms
- 2 punnets (100g each) shiitake mushrooms, halved
- 1 punnet (400g) brown mushrooms, roughly chopped or white button mushrooms, halved
- 1 tub (230g) herbed cream cheese
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) cornflour, mixed with a little water to make a paste
- 1 egg, whisked
- 2 packets (100g each) cashew nuts, toasted and chopped finely or blitzed, plus extra for serving
- Salt and milled pepper
- 1 packet (30g) wild rocket
- Preheat oven to 200ºC.
- Line a loose-bottomed 23cm tart tin with pastry.
- Blind-bake pastry for 10-15 minutes until firm but not browned.
- Heat oil in a pan and sauté onions until golden, add garlic and herbs and cook for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat, discard sprigs and set aside.
- Fry mushroom in batches over very high heat until golden. Keep a quarter aside for topping and add the rest to the onions.
- Stir in cream cheese, cornflour, egg and nuts, and season to taste.
- Spoon mixture into tart base and bake for 20 minutes or until pastry is cooked and filling is firm.
- Reheat remaining mushrooms. Place them on the tart with a handful of rocket and chopped cashew nuts.
- Drizzle with olive oil just before serving.