Microwave chocolate lamingtons
This cake recipe is one for the books.
- Makes 30
- Less than 30 minutes
- For the cake:
- 1½ cups (225g) flour, sifted
- 1½ Tbsp (22ml) baking powder
- 1½ cups (300g) sugar
- ⅓ cup (35g) cocoa powder
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) instant coffee
- 2 tsp (10ml) cinnamon
- ½ tsp (3ml) salt
- 3 eggs
- ¾ cup (180ml) canola oil
- 1 tsp (5ml) vanilla essence
- 1½ cups (375ml) boiling water
- For decorating:
- 1 cup (130g) icing sugar
- 3 Tbsp (22g) cocoa powder
- 3 Tbsp (45ml) lemon juice
- Pinch salt
- 1 cup (100g) dessicated coconut
- To make the cake, combine dry ingredients.
- Combine wet ingredients and add to the dry ones.
- Mix until smooth.
- Spray a 2L square or rectangular microwave-safe dish with nonstick spray.
- Pour batter into dish and cook in the microwave for 12 minutes (for an 800-watt microwave).
- Leave to cool.
- Remove from dish and cut into 30 squares.
- Mix decorating ingredients (except for the coconut) together until smooth.
- Coat each block with icing, then roll in the coconut and serve.
- SPLURGE: Roll lamingtons in 2 cups (500ml) toasted and chopped hazelnuts.