Lemony chickpea and chargrilled-brinjal buns
This vegetarian option packs a flavour punch!
- Serves 4
- Less than 30 minutes
- 1 small brinjal, sliced
- ¼ cup (60ml) olive oil
- 2 tsp (10ml) ground cumin
- Salt and milled pepper
- 1 tsp (5ml) crushed garlic
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- Juice (60ml) and grated peel of 1 lemon
- 1 can (410g) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 3 Tbsp (45ml) fresh mint, chopped
- 4 wholewheat burger buns, halved
- 1½ cups (375ml) shredded iceberg lettuce
- 2 salad tomatoes, sliced
- Combine brinjal slices with half the oil, cumin, salt, pepper and half the garlic.
- Heat a griddle pan and chargrill brinjals on both sides until cooked through. Set aside.
- Place onion, lemon juice and grated peel, remaining oil and garlic, and chickpeas in a bowl.
- Season and set aside for 15 minutes.
- Roughly smash chickpea mixture with the back of a spoon and stir through mint.
- Layer one half of each bun with lettuce, brinjals, tomato and a spoonful of chickpea mixture.
- Sandwich with remaining bun halves. Serve.