A classic for good reason.
- Serves 6
- More than 1 hour
- 2 cups (300g) flour, plus extra for dusting
- 2 tsp (10ml) baking powder
- Pinch salt
- ½ cup (125g) cold butter, plus extra for greasing
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) milk
- ¼ cup (60ml) apricot jam (or any jam you have on hand)
- ¾ cup (150g) sugar
- 1½ cups (375ml) water
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) butter
- Juice (60ml) and finely grated peel of 1 lemon
- For serving:
- 6 slices lemon, for decorating (optional)
- Cream or custard
- Grease a shallow 2L ovenproof dish.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt together into a large bowl.
- Grate cold butter into flour mixture and rub together until it resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
- Combine eggs and milk in a separate bowl, then gently pour into flour mixture and mix to create a dough.
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Dust a work surface with flour and roll dough into a rectangle, about 1.5cm thick and spread with jam.
- Roll up into a Swiss roll and place seam-side down in the prepared baking dish.
- Mix sauce ingredients together and pour over Swiss roll. Decorate with lemon slices, if using.
- Bake for about 45-60 minutes or until golden and cooked through. Serve with cream or custard.