Flaky broccoli and cheese roll-ups
Light on effort, high on oozing cheesy comfort.
- Serves 4
- Less than 30 minutes
- 1 box (500g) phyllo pastry
- ¼ cup (60ml) melted butter
- ¼ cup (60ml) sesame seeds
- Sliced spring onion and chopped parsley, for serving (optional)
- For the filling:
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) butter
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 tsp (5ml) garlic and chilli paste (or chopped garlic, if you prefer)
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) flour
- ¾ cup (180ml) milk
- Salt and milled pepper
- ½ head (about 180g) chopped broccoli (defrosted florets work well too)
- ⅓ cup (80g) grated mature cheddar (plain cheddar or gouda work too)
- Handful chopped parsley (optional)
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Heat butter in a pan and sauté onions over medium heat.
- Add garlic and chilli paste (or chopped garlic) and fry for 30 seconds.
- Stir in flour and cook for 30-60 seconds.
- Whisk in milk and stir continuously to avoid lumps.
- Season well and bring mixture to the boil.
- Add broccoli and cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Stir through cheddar until completely melted.
- Remove from heat and add parsley. Set aside.
- Brush each pastry sheet with butter, laying six sheets on top of each other.
- Cut layered sheets into four strips.
- Place a ¼ cup filling 5cm from the bottom edge of each strip.
- Fold over sides and roll upwards to enclose.
- Brush with melted butter and sprinkle with sesame seeds (optional).
- Repeat with remaining filling and pastry.
- Bake on two lined baking trays for 15-20 minutes or until just golden (they may pop open if baked for too long).
- Serve topped with spring onion and parsley.