Make the best of in-season fruit with this easy recipe
- Makes 6
- Less than 45 minutes
- 6 pears
- 1 cup (250ml) water
- ½ cup (125ml) each honey and brandy or sherry
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 vanilla pod, halved
- ½ packet (100g) ginger nut biscuits
- 50g each oats, treacle sugar and flour
- 1 tsp (5ml) ground cinnamon
- ⅓ cup (80g) butter
- Syrup, for serving
- Preheat oven to 180°C
- Peel, halve and core pears.
- Heat water, honey, brandy or sherry, cinnamon stick and vanilla pod in a saucepan
- Poach pears for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove pears from the pot, place on a baking sheet and set aside.
- Reduce liquid to a syrup.
- Blitz biscuits, oats, treacle sugar, flour and cinnamon together until a coarse mixture forms.
- Rub in butter.
- Sprinkle the crumbly mixture over pears and bake for 15 minutes, or until golden.
- Serve with syrup