Curried snoek with apricot stuffing
A South African favourite with a Malay twist.
- Serves 4
- Less than 30 minutes
- 3 Tbsp (45ml) butter
- 3-4 fresh or 6-8 dried curry leaves
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) medium curry powder
- 1 tsp (5ml) ground cumin
- 1 tsp (5ml) ground coriander
- Salt and milled pepper
- 1 (700g) whole snoek, butterflied
- 1 onion, thickly sliced
- ¼ cup (60ml) finely chopped apricots
- 3 fresh or 6 dried curry leaves
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) fresh coriander, chopped
- ¼ cup (60ml) apricot jam
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) desiccated coconut
- Butcher’s string, soaked in water
- PnP naan bread, for serving
- Heat butter in a pan and sauté curry leaves and onion for 3-4 minutes.
- Add curry powder, cumin and coriander and cook for 2 minutes more. Remove from heat.
- Season snoek and brush with half the curry butter.
- Combine onion, apricots, curry leaves, coriander, apricot jam and coconut and place on one side of the snoek.
- Fold snoek to enclose and secure with butcher’s string.
- Braai snoek over medium coals for 15 minutes, basting frequently with remaining curry butter.
- Serve with naan.