Classic Victoria sponge cake
An all-time favourite.
- Serves 8
- More than 1 hour
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Grease a 20cm springform cake tin and line with baking paper.
- Cream butter and white sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating after each addition.
- Using a large metal spoon, gently fold in flour until just combined. The batter should drop off the end of the spoon when tapped.
- Spoon mixture into prepared tin, level out and bake for 40 minutes, or until springy to the touch. Discard paper and halve cake horizontally to make two cake layers.
- Whip cream and castor sugar together.
- Spread one half of the sponge with cream and top with halved strawberries, reserving a few for the top of the cake.
- Sandwich with other half of sponge, top with reserved strawberries and dust with icing sugar. Serve.