A decadent treat for a sweet breakfast, or even dessert!
- Makes 10
- Less than 30 minutes
- 1⅔ cups (250g) cake flour
- ½ cup (125ml) cocoa powder
- ½ cup (125ml) castor sugar
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) baking powder
- Pinch salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup (250ml) milk
- ⅓ cup (80ml) vegetable oil (or melted butter)
- 1 tsp (5ml) vanilla essence (optional)
- 2-3 Tbsp (30-45ml) cooking oil
- 1-2 Tbsp (15-20ml) butter
- ½ slab (50g) milk or dark chocolate, chopped (optional)
- For serving:
- 2 slabs (80g each) dark chocolate, melted
- Handful berries
- Handful mint
- Sift flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder and salt together.
- Whisk together eggs, milk, vegetable oil or melted butter, and vanilla essence.
- Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and add egg mixture. Stir well to combine.
- Set mixture aside for 15 minutes.
- Heat up to 1 tsp (5ml) cooking oil and butter at a time over medium-low heat in a pan.
- Dollop ⅓ cup (80ml) batter at a time into the pan.
- Sprinkle with a little chopped chocolate, if you like, and cook until bubbles appear on top of pancakes. (This should take about 2 minutes.)
- Flip and cook for another minute.
- Repeat with remaining batter.
- Serve pancakes hot with a drizzle of melted chocolate and sprinkled with berries and mint.