Bacon and lentil soup
A hearty and budget-friendly soup.
- Serves 4
- Less than 1 hour
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, diced
- 3 sticks celery, diced
- 1 packet (250g) diced bacon
- Glug olive oil
- 1 packet (500g) brown lentils
- 8 cups (2L) water
- Salt and milled pepper
- Crusty bread, for serving (optional)
- Sauté onion, carrots, celery and bacon in a glug of olive oil until soft.
- Add lentils and water and simmer for 45 minutes, skimming any scum off the top of the soup with a spoon.
- Once lentils begin to fall apart, remove from heat.
- Mash soup roughly with a potato masher to thicken, adding a little more water if needed.
- Season well and serve with crusty bread, if desired.