Apple Tarte Tatin
This is also delicious with pears, stone fruit or bananas.
- Serves 6
- Less than 1 hour
- Roll pastry out on a floured surface to about 3mm thick.
- Cut out a circle the size of a 22cm ovenproof tart pan or dish.
- Heat sugar and water in a saucepan.
- Stir until sugar dissolves, then bring to the boil. (Brush down the sides of the pot with water if crystals start to form.)
- Boil until liquid turns amber (if using a kitchen thermometer, this will be at about 115ºC).
- Carefully add butter and cream and swirl the pot to combine. (Do not stir, as this could cause the caramel to crystalise.)
- Arrange apples in tart pan or dish and pour caramel evenly over them.
- Cover with pastry and brush with egg.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes at 200ºC until golden.
- Turn out onto a plate.
- Serve with whipped cream and mint.