Tuscan tomato-bean bake
A meat-free stew you can make using tinned food.
- Serves 4
- Less than 30 minutes
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) canola oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced, plus 1 whole peeled clove
- 1 sachet (50g) tomato paste
- 2 cans (410g each) chopped tomatoes
- ½ can (200g) red speckled sugar beans, drained
- ½ can (200g) cannellini beans, drained
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp (10ml) sugar
- Salt and milled pepper
- ½ loaf rye bread, sliced
- Handful parsley, chopped, plus extra for serving
- Heat oil in a large pan and sauté onion.
- Add minced garlic and fry.
- Add tomato paste and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in tomatoes, beans, Worcestershire sauce, sugar and seasoning.
- Simmer for 5-7 minutes to allow beans to soak up the flavour.
- Toast bread slices on a griddle pan, rub with peeled garlic clove and scatter with parsley.
- Stir extra parsley through tomato-bean mixture and serve with toast.