Sloppy joe vetkoek
Step aside, average Joe. Your more indulgent cousin is in town.
- Serves 4
- More than 1 hour
- 500g shop-bought bread dough
- Flour, for dusting
- 3 cups (750ml) canola oil
- 500g beef mince
- 1 can (410g) PnP Italian-style tomatoes
- 2 tsp (10ml) beef stock powder
- 1 tsp (5ml) dried origanum (optional)
- 1 cup (250ml) red wine or water
- Salt and milled pepper
- 1 punnet (20g) rocket
- ½ red onion, chopped, for serving
- ½ tomato, for serving
- Divide dough into 4 balls and flatten gently.
- Cover with a damp tea towel and leave to stand on a lightly floured surface.
- Heat 1 Tbsp (15ml) oil in a pan and brown mince.
- Add tomatoes, stock powder, origanum, if using, and red wine or water.
- Cover and simmer on low to medium heat for 30-45 minutes. Season.
- Heat enough oil for deep-frying in a medium pot.
- Fry dough balls two at a time until golden on both sides and cooked through.
- Serve filled with mince, rocket, onion and tomato.