Roast chicken, baby spuds and a quick pickle
Swap the whole roast for pieces if preferred.
- Serves 6
- Less than 1 hour
- Salt and milled pepper
- 3 Tbsp (45ml) olive or canola oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme leave
- 600g baby potatoes
- 1 whole (about 1.5kg) chicken
- Quick pickle:
- ½ cucumber, sliced
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 3 Tbsp (45ml) red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) water
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) sugar
- 1 tsp (5ml) salt
- Handful fresh basil or mint, for serving
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Combine salt, pepper, oil, garlic and thyme in a bowl.
- Place potatoes and chicken in a roasting pan and rub with seasoned oil mixture.
- Roast for an hour or until chicken juices run clear when pierced with a knife and potatoes are golden and cooked through.
- For the pickle, toss cucumber and red onion together.
- Heat vinegar, water, sugar and salt in a pan and pour over the cucumber and onion.
- Pickle for 30 minutes, then drain.
- Serve chicken with basil or mint and pickle.