We’re protecting you
At Pick n Pay we are serious about helping you stay safe online and doing our part to protect your data and accounts with us. We urge you to stay safe from the threat of online fraud, through phishing schemes or identity theft.
We've become aware of several scams being spread by email. These scams use sneaky techniques to trick you, our customer, into thinking Pick n Pay, Smart Shopper or our Online Shopping team is giving away vouchers, running competitions, etc and requesting personal information to facilitate such opportunities. These scams may look very realistic and may even use our branding and templates or appear to come from valid email addresses.
Scams typically ask users to perform a specific action under duress (for a limited time period) such as:
- clicking a link,
- opening an attachment,
- completing a questionnaire, or
- sharing your, your family or friend's personal information (email, ID number, Smart Shopper card number, username, password and OTP - one time password).
Falling for one of these scams could result in your accounts being accessed by unauthorised parties which could mean a breach of your privacy, identity theft, unauthorised spending of your Smart Shopper points or even unauthorised spend on your credit or debit card.
How to Protect Yourself
- Only enter your Smart Shopper or Online Shopping account details on the official Pick n Pay website (www.picknpay.co.za) or mobile app installed on your phone.
- Don't use public or internet cafe computers to access your Pick n Pay or banking accounts
- Be wary of following links from emails sent to you, the safest thing to do is to instead enter the address manually into your web browser and ensure you are accessing the official site.
- Don't blindly trust websites with "https", this only means the communication is secure but does not verify the website owner is not malicious
- Install and regularly update antivirus software and ensure that the operating system on your PC or mobile device is up to date
What to do
- If you ever receive an email, WhatsApp or sms that you suspect is impersonating Pick n Pay, you should contact us on the Customer Careline on 0860 30 30 30.
- If you think any of your Pick n Pay accounts has been compromised, you should contact us on the Customer Careline on 0860 30 30 30.
- To see a list of current scams that we are aware of at any time or for some additional online security tips, visit our official website www.picknpay.co.za and select the "scams" tab from the useful links menu item at the bottom of the site.
LATEST KNOWN SCAMS
Stay up to date with the latest known scams either targeting Pick n Pay customers or using Pick n Pay to target you.
If you are ever unsure, please call the Customer Careline on 0860 30 30 30.