A refreshing Spanish favourite
- Serves 4-6
- Less than 25 minutes, plus overnight chilling
- ¼ cup (60ml) water
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) castor sugar
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 3 star anise
- 1 bottle (750ml) red wine
- ¼ cup (60ml) gin or white rum
- Juice (60ml) of 2 limes
- 1 punnet (250g) strawberries, halved
- 1 punnet (250g) raspberries
- 3-4 peaches, cubed
- 3 cups (750ml) lemonade or soda water
- Ice cubes, for serving
- Mint leaves, to garnish
- To make sugar syrup, heat water, castor sugar, cinnamon and star anise and simmer until sugar dissolves. Cool and strain.
- Combine syrup, red wine, gin (or rum), lime juice and fruit in a jug.
- Refrigerate for 8 hours.
- Top mixture with lemonade or soda water and ice, and garnish with mint leaves just before serving.