Perfect lemon and garlic roast chicken
One bird, one pan, one delicious roast dinner.
- Serves 6
- More than 2 hours
- 1 whole chicken
- Salt and milled pepper
- 1 lemon, halved
- 1 head garlic, cloves peeled
- ¼ cup (60ml) olive oil
- 1 packet (500g) baby potatoes, halved
- 3 stalks vine tomatoes
- 1 red onion, cut into wedges
- Rocket, for serving
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Remove giblets from cavity of chicken, then rinse bird and dry.
- Place chicken in a roasting pan.
- Season cavity with salt and pepper and stuff with lemon halves and 5 garlic cloves.
- Rub chicken with half the oil and season.
- Toss potatoes in remaining oil and add to roasting pan.
- Roast for 1 hour.
- Add tomatoes, remaining garlic cloves and onion to roasting pan and roast for 30 minutes, or until chicken is tender, skin is crispy and tomatoes are blistered.
- Sprinkle with rocket and serve.
- Cook’s note: No meat thermometer? No problem! Insert a knife into the thigh on the underside. If juices run clear (as opposed to cloudy, pink or not at all), your bird is cooked. Alternatively, wiggle the joints – if they’re loose, your bird is cooked.