Italian mamma’s bolognaise
A recipe everyone should have in their repertoire.
- Serves 4
- More than 1 hour
- 300g lean beef mince
- 300g lean pork mince
- Salt and milled pepper
- Glug olive oil
- ½ packet (125g) bacon (back or streaky), chopped
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 2 celery sticks, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 bouquet garni (sprig each thyme, rosemary and parsley, and a bay leaf)
- ⅔ cup (160ml) red wine
- 2 cans (400g each) whole peeled tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1-2 cups (250-500ml) beef stock
- 1 parmesan rind with plastic removed (optional)
- For serving:
- Parmesan cheese, grated
- Handful flat-leaf parsley
- Spaghetti, gnocchi or creamy polenta
- Season mince and brown in a heavy saucepan in oil. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Fry bacon in the same pan for a few minutes, then add onion, carrot, celery and garlic. Sauté until soft and slightly browned.
- Return meat to pan and add remaining ingredients.
- Cover and simmer for 1 hour (adding a little more water if needed).
- Season well and remove parmesan rind, if using.
- Serve topped with grated parmesan and parsley on your choice of starch.