Deluxe spaghetti bolognaise
Cinnamon provides a twist in the plot of this classic recipe.
- Serves 4
- Less than 1 hour
- Pair with Merlot
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) olive oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 large carrots, finely diced
- 2 sticks celery, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tsp (10ml) dried oregano
- 2 tsp (10ml) ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp (10ml) tomato paste
- 500g beef mince
- 200g chicken livers, cleaned and coarsely chopped
- ¾ cup (180ml) red wine
- 2 cans (410g each) peeled, chopped tomatoes
- Salt and milled pepper
- 1 packet (500g) PnP spaghetti
- For serving:
- Fresh origanum
- Heat olive oil and fry vegetables until soft.
- Add garlic, oregano and cinnamon and fry until fragrant.
- Add tomato paste and cook for a minute to develop the flavour.
- Add mince and chicken livers and fry until golden. (Use a fork to break up any lumps.)
- Add wine and cook until alcohol has evaporated.
- Add tomatoes and bring sauce to the boil.
- Simmer for 20-30 minutes, or until slightly thickened. Season.
- Cook pasta according to packet instructions.
- Transfer pasta into bowls and serve with bolognaise sauce, shavings of parmesan and a scattering of oregano.