A healthy take on a classic.
- Serves 6
- More than 1 hour
- Tbsp (45ml) olive oil
- 1 onion
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 500g ostrich mince
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 1 can (400g) lentils, drained
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) tomato paste
- 1 can (410g) chopped tomatoes
- ½ cup (125ml) beef stock
- 1 tsp (5ml) sugar
- Salt and milled pepper
- 2 heads cauliflower
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- Heat 1 Tbsp (15ml) oil in a large pan and sauté onion until soft.
- Add carrots and cook for a few more minutes.
- Add garlic and fry until fragrant.
- Add mince and rosemary, stirring to break up any lumps.
- Cook for 10 minutes.
- Add lentils, tomato paste, tomatoes, stock and sugar, then cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Season.
- Steam cauliflower until tender.
- Purée cauliflower with nutmeg and remaining olive oil until smooth.
- Spoon mince into an ovenproof dish, spread cauliflower mash on top and bake for 20 minutes or until golden. Serve.