Beef and bacon meatloaf
Serve with mash, vegetables or pasta.
- Serves 4
- More than 1 hour
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 2 celery sticks, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- Glug olive oil
- ½ cup (125ml) grated parmesan
- ⅔ cup (160ml) fresh breadcrumbs
- 3-4 Tbsp (45-60ml) pesto
- 1 extra-large egg, beaten
- 500g lean beef mince
- Salt and milled pepper
- 1 packet (250g) bacon
- 2 cans (400g each) chopped tomatoes
- ½ cup (125ml) white wine
- Handful pitted calamata olives
- 2-3 Tbsp (30-45ml) baby capers
- 1 punnet vine tomatoes
- Handful flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- Sauté onion, carrot, celery and garlic in oil and cool.
- Mix in parmesan, crumbs, pesto, egg and mince. Season well.
- Mould into loaf shape and place in a casserole dish.
- Crisscross strips of bacon over meatloaf and pour tomatoes and wine around it. Cook for 30 minutes.
- Add olives, capers and vine tomatoes and cook for another 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and rest for 10 minutes.
- Spoon off excess oil from sauce and add parsley.
- Serve with pan sauce and your choice of starch.